Back to the kitchen I go! It has been nice cooking my own food again since the trip. I seriously get TIRED of eating out all the time. It gets boring fast.
Anyways, some nights consisted of just the normal go-to recipes because of what we got from the grocery but Monday night was a different story.
I did my own concoction of Thai fried "rice" and I must say it turned out good!
Very Proud of myself.
Yes, indeed.
Why is rice in quotes? Because I didn't actually use brown rice or even white rice, I used quinoa.
Quinoa is a psuedograin crop, not in the same family as grains or cereals. It has a high protein content, good source of essential amino acids and dietary fiber. From the look of it, it resembles brown rice and the taste is a nutty flavor when cooked. Similar to rice so that it works well as a good substitute. The plus side is that one cup of uncooked quinoa feeds 8 servings and cooks in only 15 minutes!
I love that it is fast, very healthy for you and it tastes good!
Well, Monday night I had leftover quinoa and thus I wanted to use it somehow. I already had planned to grill thai chicken along with roasted bell peppers and carrots.....my favorite!.....but I needed more flavor to the meal. My taste buds were craving it.
I looked up some simple fried rice recipes on All Recipes and found a base I could work from and went from there. (Note: Fried rice is best cooked with leftover rice, not fresh cooked rice.)
It didn't take long. It smelled great while cooking. Jonathanand I both liked it and I think the puppy wanted some as well! She kept watching us as we were eating. Her eyes were saying: "Feed me some please, I want something different than dry puppy food!"
Sorry Beth, no table scraps for you.
Though, for humans, I highly recommend buying some quinoa and trying out your favorite rice recipe. You won't be disappointed, I promise. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment