Apr 14, 2011

Vibram FiveFingers : My favorite of the week

Vibram FiveFingers : Barefoot Sports Shoes : Toe Shoes & Minimalist Shoes

These are my new favorite thing of the week! Thus I have to share with everyone that I absolutely love these shoes.
Jonathan was the first to tell me about these shoes because he wants a pair for himself. Although I obviously got them first! hahaha
Anyways, he informed me that there was a lot of scientific research done on these shoes, especially on marathon runners. It talks about how when wearing these shoes it helped them run faster because it retrains the muscles in the foot and legs that we use when we walk barefoot. I also helps with posture and spinal alignment.
I originally thought that I wouldn't wear them because they look....ummm funny. I mean come on it has individual toe pockets and rubber around the top of the toes!? Weird!

Although, I read up myself on the benefits of these shoes. Personal stories of both men and women who wear them and I was convinced that I wanted them....even more when I found a pair that was brown leather aka. the KSO Trek!
As for my personal story, I have back pain due to a pinched nerve in my right hip thus standing for a long period of time and other things such as walking and hiking aggravates it. When that happens, which is almost everyday, the right side of my back starts hurting and eventually leads to not being able to feel the entire right side of my body. It is like lifting a ton of bricks when I am walking.
My PT told me to build up my core muscles (legs, abs, lower back, hips) to reduce the risk of aggravating it as often. It will eventually heal on it's own.
Well, that was two years ago and I'm still continuing my weights to build up my muscles. Though I am still experiencing pain in my back and so I though it must be in the shoes I wear. I was right! Wearing these five fingers have greatly reduced my back pain everyday. I am so happy that I can be in the lab working all day and not be in pain. :)

I recommend that everyone go check these out! (Click on the link at the top of the post)
Especially people who are athletes, runners, hikers, or have some spinal issues. You will love them!

1 comment:

  1. I am so interested in trying these! I have read a lot of great information on them, but I have to get over the fact that they do look a little strange!
    :)

    ReplyDelete